How Banks Can Help Make Taxes Less Taxing
- Date:February 22, 2023
- Dylan Lerner
- Report Details: 14 pages, 6 graphics
- Research Topic(s):
- Digital Banking
- Digital Strategy & Experience
- PAID CONTENT
Although FIs don’t typically offer tax preparation or filing services, taxes are as large a part of a consumer’s financial picture as any banking product or service. In an age of dispersed financial relationships, commoditization of banking products, and encroaching non-bank competition, FIs cannot afford to ignore any part of their customers’ finances – especially a ubiquitous, recurring imperative like taxes.
In this report, Javelin identifies numerous opportunities for banks and credit unions to expand their role, running the gamut from rudimentary digital access to tax statements and generic tax preparation tips to hands-on and automated digital tools that customers can use year-round, and partnerships with tax preparation companies that can provide full-service experiences.
Key questions discussed in this report:
- What role should FIs play in helping customers with their taxes?
- How can FIs help address customers’ questions and concerns about taxes?
- How can FIs leverage modern digital banking tools to provide engaging tax experiences?
- How can FIs attract tax refund deposits and assist with tax bills?
- What must FIs and vendors do to elevate experiences from “do it yourself” to “do it for me”?
Ally Bank, Bank of America, Block, Cash App, Chase, Credit Karma, Found, H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt, Lance, Lili, Square, TaxSlayer, Intuit (TurboTax), USAA, Wells Fargo
Interested In This Report
How Digital Features Can Set Business Credit Cards Apart
Financial institutions typically peddle credit cards based on commoditized factors, not digital features, and are missing out on opportunities because of this. Rather than leaning ...
Branch/ATM Locators: Building Satisfying Digital-to-Physical Pathways
Even as the role of the bank branch changes—moving away from basic transactional functions to more complex financial matters—customers’ ability to find the branch they need and the...
2023 Small Business Banking Trends & Predictions
An overview of three trends that will be critical for the banking industry to address in the coming year.