Mercator Advisory Group’s research report identifies key factors that need to be considered when designing a new product. The customer needs, economics, infrastructure, and regulations will all influence which type of account structure makes sense for a new product.
"Prepaid and debit accounts both offer advantages and disadvantages for financial services providers, so understanding the key decision points can lead product designers to the most profitable configuration, " Ben Jackson, director of Mercator Advisory Group's Prepaid Advisory Service, and coauthor of the report, comments.
Companies mentioned in the report include: Chase, ChexSystem, NetSpend, and TSYS.
Members of Mercator Advisory Group's Debit Advisory Service and Prepaid Advisory Service have access to this report as well as the upcoming research for the year ahead, presentations, analyst access, and other membership benefits.
One of the exhibits included in this report:
- The important differences remaining between debit and prepaid account types that can make or break a product
- Details of the key factors to be considered by financial services providers in choosing which account type of deposit/transaction account launch: the audience, economics, infrastructure, and regulations that apply to each account type
- Marketing necessary to show the value of prepaid cards and debit accounts to their likely audiences.
- The importance of developing a comprehensive balance sheet of the revenues and expenses of debit versus prepaid account types to make the right decision on which to launch.
- The necessity of comparing the differing tools required to offer a prepaid card or a debit account with the providers’ existing infrastructure
- The regulations that will heavily influence heavily the success of each product
Interested In This Report
February 13, 2023
2023 Annual U.S. Debit Card Market Data Review
The seventh annual review of the U.S. debit card market consolidates data and analyzes recent trends shaping the use of these cards. In addition, a near-term forecast for debit vol...
December 07, 2022
Debit Regulation II Clarification
A new clarification to a debit regulation sets standards for dual routing in card-not-present transactions, but how will the Federal Reserve Board’s regulation affect merchants, de...
November 16, 2022
2023 Outlook: Debit and Alternative Products
Debit card issuers will need to navigate a recession caused by excess demand. Potential regulations that affect credit will bring volume to debit as the value proposition shifts. N...